Social Gaming: Chaos in the Old World

This one really took me by surprise and is now quickly becoming a regular game with us.  It really took some convincing to get me into this game (sounds familiar to my own struggles getting others into my games), but I'm glad I did.  In this game, heroes are more of an inconvenience than anything else.  Instead, you all are playing 4 dark gods all trying to corrupt the world in your own ways.  Each god tries to win by different means, so players can really get into character here.  Although the game takes up very few turns, those turns can take a very long time to set up (especially when I'm over-analyzing everything).  Players can win either by amassing lots of points from domination & corruption or just improving themselves to perfection.  It's rather pricey at $60, but considering I paid about that much for Pandemic with On the Brink, I don't feel so bad about it.

Khorne: This is probably the easiest role to play.  While everyone else is trying to corrupt the world, you like to screw with everyone by killing off their figures.  Khorne doesn't care how corrupt the world gets, just as long as he gets some blood.
Nurgle: Nurgle doesn't really get in conflict with anybody.  He just wants to spread disease and corruption, especially in areas where there's lots of people   Nurgle should be winning by points, because he has numerous minions to dominate the regions and his corruption will spoil the lands quickly.  He's Khorne's favorite food because lepers are easy to kill.
Tzeentch: He doesn't really have a plan, but he doesn't want anyone else to have one, either.  He works with magic wherever he can find it, sets up camp, and screws up anything everyone ever plays.  He generally plays his figures after everyone else.
Slaanesh: Though I still have yet to try Tzeentch, Slaanesh really feels like home to me.  He's the prince of pleasure, his cultists are seductresses, his warriors are sexy for demonic instruments of death... He takes particular interest in seducing regions with nobles and heroes.  Game-wise, Slaanesh also doesn't have a preference in victory, but that's because he genuinely develops properly in both methods.

The game is really complicated to start, but it's deep enough that it keeps me fascinated every time I play it.  I really hope my friend keeps bringing it to play, but I also intend on getting a version of my own.  It also brings interesting thoughts to mind.  I really enjoy games that force me to play with pre-balanced characters more than when I have to make my own role to play.  I don't even refer to RPGs, but anything customizable such as trading card games.  The pleasure for me is in finding how to effectively use the given tools and using them in combination with my knowledge of the tools my opponents have.  This works in 2-player fighter games like Street Fighter, the "party fighter" Smash Bros., Chaos in the Old World, and even the cooperative Pandemic.  Flash Duel and the upcoming Yomi simulate a fighting game through cards... I wonder what it would take to simulate a Smash Bros. style game in such a way...  I must do further research in my friend's D&D style tavern-brawler game (the name escapes me).

Comments

  1. Social games are very popular among players and Gaming in groups is a very interesting way of social integration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I play Heroclix

Siberian Blizzard revised